Questions and answers on international election observation
Can there be international election observers in the October 1 referendum?
Yeah. The Electoral Commission of Catalonia will open a process of accreditation of international electoral observation missions and international visitors with the aim of strengthening transparency and guarantee of all stages and procedures of the referendum process.
What types of observation are planned?
There are two types of established accreditations:
- International election observation Missions.
- International visitors.
What are the rights and duties of international election observers and visitors?
- Attend the informative sessions on the electoral procedure offered by the Electoral Commission of Catalonia.
- Receive support from the Electoral Commission of Catalonia for the establishment of contacts with the political formations and organizations interested in the referendum.
- Observe freely all the organizational processes linked to the holding of the referendum.
- Access to all physical spaces linked to the organization and celebration of the referendum, with the only limitation of restricted access spaces for security reasons.
- Address queries, observations and recommendations to the Electoral Commission of Catalonia.
- Receive an official identification from the Electoral Commission that proves their status, and wear it visible during their activities.
In the case of international election observation missions, those responsible for them must:
- Deliver to the Electoral Commission of Catalonia a preliminary report of the task of electoral observation once the results of the provisional scrutiny have been made public.
- To deliver to the Electoral Commission of Catalonia a definitive report of its electoral observation within a period not exceeding ten days from the publication of the official results.
- International visitors can send a brief report to the Electoral Commission of Catalonia within one week of the publication of the official results.
How is the accreditation of an international election observation mission carried out?
- A mission can be accredited through an organization or a collective of individuals. To do so, it is necessary to send within the established deadlines an electronic communication that includes:
- The identification data of the organization is usually legal, and document accrediting its legal constitution, if applicable.
- Contact details of the person serving as head of mission during the observation activity period.
- Contact details of all members of the mission team.
- A work plan detailing at least the planned activities, the description of the team’s functions, and the planned timeline of the mission.
- The curricula that accredit the specific training and experience in the field of electoral observation of the members of the mission.
- The commitment to comply with the Declaration of Principles for the international observation of Elections signed by all members, as well as the code of Conduct for international election observers of 27 October 2005.
- A copy of the current passport of each of the members of the mission.
- A photograph for identification use.
Further information: international observers
What are the requirements to be accredited as an international visitor?
It is necessary to send an electronic communication within the established deadlines that include:
- The identification data of the person is only available.
- The contact data of the person is only available during the activity period.
- The curriculum that accredits academic experience in the field of social sciences or humanities, and/or political experience, and/or outstanding career in the defense and promotion of human rights.
- The signed commitment to compliance with the Declaration of Principles for the international observation of elections, as well as the code of Conduct for international election observers, of 27 October 2005.
- A copy of the current passport.
- A photograph for identification use.
For more information: international visitors
Where can I find more information about the requirements and accreditation procedure related to the field of electoral observation in the referendum on 1 October?
You will find detailed information on these and other aspects in Chapter X of the decree on complementary rules for the realization of self-determination referendums in Catalonia.